Picking the best phone spy software can be tricky. There are dozens of excellent phone trackers out there.
Fortunately, I’m here to help. I’ve worked as a private investigator for the past 15+ years. I use phone trackers almost every day.
Today, spy apps can be used to track somebody without their knowledge. They’re very popular even outside the law enforcement community. Some of the top spy software users are parents. It’s a dangerous world out there, and parents want to make sure their kids are safe at all times.
Good phone spy software lets you read text messages, track photos, monitor social media, track location data, and even record phone calls. Today’s best spy software will log all data online where you – as a concerned parent or spouse – can quietly access it. Some of the spy software on this list can even record ambient noise through the microphone or remotely take a photo using the phone’s camera.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at the five best spy apps for iPhone and Android.
OneClickMonitor rightfully holds the top spot in our review of the best cell phone spy software for 2020. Available for Android or iPhone, OneClickMonitor offers world-class monitoring at a surprisingly affordable price.
OneClickMonitor also edged out the competition for its ease of use: the software is advanced enough to handle complex requests, but the UI is extremely beginner-friendly. Whether you’re a programmer or you’re clueless with technology, you’ll have no trouble using OneClickMonitor to monitor Android and iPhone devices.
Some of the notable features on OneClickMonitor tracking software include:
- Supervise All Activity: You can track usage 24/7 and even view phone screens in real-time.
- Easy Online Monitoring: Track all phone usage via a secure online platform.
- Check GPS Location Data: OneClickMonitor has detailed GPS location tracking, making it easy to see where the target smartphone is down to a 10 to 15 feet radius.
- Track Multiple Devices: OneClickMonitor is one of the few tracking apps that lets you track multiple devices from a single account. You can track up to 5+ devices per account.
- Track Calls and Texts: Want to track all communication from a specific device? You can easily do that with OneClickMonitor. The software lets you remotely monitor calls, texts, emails, messaging apps, Facebook activity, social media conversations, and more.
- Photo and Video Monitoring: Check which videos and pictures are being saved, sent, or received from the targeted device. OneClickMonitorlets you see all images, videos, and other files stored on the device.
- Completely Silent and Hidden: All of the apps on this list hidden on the device. However, OneClickMonitor has the unique benefit of being indistinguishable from a piece of conventional equipment. You can choose to display a monitoring icon in the notification tray. Or, you can let the app run entirely silently.
- Works on All Platforms: OneClickMonitor works with all Apple and Android devices, including phones from manufacturers like Motorola, Google, LG, Samsung, HTC, Huawei, and others.
- No Jailbreak Required: OneClickMonitor has a non-jailbreak version available, making it easy to install the app on any device, regardless of whether it’s jailbroken or rooted.
There’s one more thing that distinguishes OneClickMonitor from others on this list: you can buy a phone with pre-installed tracking software. Or, you can download the software and install the tracker yourself. No other tracking apps give you this option.
OneClickMonitor is also totally hidden: once is installed on a device, it’s impossible to detect unless you know exactly where to look in the root directory of the phone.
For all of these reasons and more, OneClickMonitor is our favorite cell phone spy software.
SpyTrac rightfully holds the top spot in our review of the best cell phone spy software for 2020. Available for Android or iPhone, SpyTrac offers world-class monitoring at a surprisingly affordable price ($24 per month for six months).
SpyTrac also edged out the competition for its ease of use: the software is advanced enough to handle complex requests, but the UI is extremely beginner-friendly. Whether you’re a programmer or you’re clueless with technology, you’ll have no trouble using SpyTrac to monitor Android and iPhone devices.
Some of the notable features on SpyTrac tracking software include:
- Supervise All Activity: You can track usage 24/7 and even view phone screens in real-time.
- Easy Online Monitoring: Track all phone usage via a secure online platform.
- Check GPS Location Data: SpyTrac has detailed GPS location tracking, making it easy to see where the target smartphone is down to a 10 to 15 feet radius.
- Track Multiple Devices: SpyTrac is one of the few tracking apps that lets you track multiple devices from a single account. You can track up to 5+ devices per account.
- Track Calls and Texts: Want to track all communication from a specific device? You can easily do that with SpyTrac. The software lets you remotely monitor calls, texts, emails, messaging apps, Facebook activity, social media conversations, and more.
- Photo and Video Monitoring: Check which videos and pictures are being saved, sent, or received from the targeted device. SpyTrac lets you see all images, videos, and other files stored on the device.
- Completely Silent and Hidden: All of the apps on this list hidden on the device. However, SpyTrac has the unique benefit of being indistinguishable from a piece of conventional equipment. You can choose to display a monitoring icon in the notification tray. Or, you can let the app run entirely silently.
- Works on All Platforms: SpyTrac works with all Apple and Android devices, including phones from manufacturers like Motorola, Google, LG, Samsung, HTC, Huawei, and others.
- No Jailbreak Required: SpyTrac has a non-jailbreak version available, making it easy to install the app on any device, regardless of whether it’s jailbroken or rooted.
There’s one more thing that distinguishes SpyTrac from others on this list: you can buy a phone with pre-installed tracking software. Or, you can download the software and install the tracker yourself. No other tracking apps give you this option.
SpyTrac is also totally hidden: once is installed on a device, it’s impossible to detect unless you know exactly where to look in the root directory of the phone.
For all of these reasons and more, SpyTrac is our favorite cell phone spy software.
Price: $24 per month for six months – $49 per month for monthly
mSpy is one of the more popular iPhone and Android tracking apps. With over 1 million users, mSpy has helped people worldwide track and monitor all types of phone communications.
The biggest hurdle with mSpy is the installation process: you’ll need to install the mSpy app on your targeted phone, then activate it using your product key. Once you’ve done that, you can monitor all phone communications remotely through the mSpy online platform.
mSpy lets you track everything you would expect to watch, including SMS, WhatsApp messages, Facebook Messenger messages, phone calls, browsing history, and GPS location. Additional features include social media monitoring, a non-jailbreak version, parental controls, and even a keylogger.
Social Media Monitoring: Track activity on Snapchat, Facebook, WhatsApp, Skype, and other favorite social media apps.
Keylogger: Monitor everything typed into the device, including passwords, search history, and messages.
Non-Jailbreak Version Available: Other phone spy apps require rooting or jailbreaking. mSpy has a non-jailbreak version available, although you’ll still need to know your target’s Apple ID and password.
Parental Controls: mSpy lets you automatically block inappropriate websites, unwanted apps, and incoming calls.
Overall, mSpy is ideal for parents looking to monitor their children. It’s feature-rich and easy to use. The company also has tech support standing by to walk you through the process.
Price: $30 to $230 (Basic, Premium, and Bundle subscription kits are all available)
FlexiSPY is best known for its Call Interception feature, which allows you to record and secretly listen to phone calls. However, this feature is only available on rooted or jailbroken devices.
Aside from Call Interception, FlexiSPY has all of the great features you’d expect to find on a top cell phone spy app.
Live Call Interception: Intercept any phone call on the target device, then listen to and record the conversation.
Record Ambient Noise: Remotely activate the target phone’s microphone to listen to ambient noise. You can also record any ambient sound that gets picked up on the phone’s microphone.
RemCam: Remotely activate the camera on the target phone to quietly take a picture, then view that photo through your FlexiSPY account.
If you don’t mind rooting or jailbreaking your device before you install the spying app, then FlexiSPY is a compelling option. It has features you can’t find on any other tracking app. It’s also the oldest spy app on this list, having been launched initially in 2006. However, it doesn’t work at all on non-rooted or non-jailbroken devices.
5) Highster Mobile
Highster Mobile is another popular phone tracking app. It’s not as extensive as SpyTrac, but it does an excellent job of providing comprehensive phone tracking of the essential phone functions. You can use Highster Mobile to track GPS data, text messages, call logs, photos, browsing history, contacts, calendar, app data, and more, for example.
If you’re looking for a reasonably priced phone spying app available for iOS and Android devices, then Highster Mobile is a great option.
One-Time Fee: Other options on this list, including mSpy, charge monthly subscription fees. Highster Mobile, on the other hand, charges a one-time fee of $69.99.
View Call Logs: Highster Mobile won’t record the actual phone calls. However, it will record all call logs, including the date, time, numbers, and duration of those calls.
View Browsing History: Monitor which websites visited on your target devices.
Track GPS Data: Know where your target device is at all times, including its location history and current location.
Message Monitoring: Track all text messages sent on the device, including deleted messages.
View Photos: All photos uploaded on the device are viewable to your Highster Mobile account.
Social Media Monitoring: Highster Mobile lets you monitor social media apps like Facebook, WhatsApp, and Snapchat, although you’ll need to root the target device first.
Ultimately, if you’re looking for great GPS, message, and photo tracking at a reasonable price, then Highster Mobile might be the right choice for you. However, if you’re looking for advanced social media monitoring, then you may want to stick with a more feature-rich option like SpyTrac.
PhoneSheriff has a catchy name. It also has enough features to compete with SpyTrac and other top phone spying apps on our list. The app is designed to be easy for everyone to use. Like mSpy, you’ll find plenty of parental control features.
Block Anything: PhoneSheriff will block virtually anything unwanted from your phone – including specific apps, websites, and contacts. You can prevent the phone from calling or messaging a particular person, for example.
Create Time Restrictions: Block all phone activity during certain times of the day. You might block all app usage during homework time, for example, or prevent phone calls overnight.
Geo-Fencing Alerts: Receive an alert when the target device travels outside a specific geo-fenced area. You can designate the space on your map via your PhoneSheriff control panel.
Profanity Alert: Setup your custom list of vulgar words. Then, you’ll receive an alert whenever one of those words are typed into the device. Also can be used for certain trigger words that aren’t profanity. If you’re tracking a spouse, for example, then you might add your name to the profanity alert system.
Overall, PhoneSheriff is a tracking app catered towards parents who want to track their kids. Favorite unique features include time restrictions, profanity filters, and a geo-fencing alert. Although is provided to parents, some of its features may appeal to other phone spy app users like jealous spouses.
There’s one major drawback of PhoneSheriff: due to legal problems, you can no longer purchase the hidden version of PhoneSheriff. The app notifies users that they’re watched at all times, which is why this is ideal for parents who are tracking their kids.
Price: $49 to $89 (6-months and 12-month subscriptions available)
iKeyMonitor is a simple yet effective iPhone spying app capable of recording texts, instant messages, browser history, and keystrokes. It’s an advanced keylogger app for iOS. One of the unique things about iKeyMonitor is that all of this information are sent to your email address: there’s no need to log into an online dashboard to view information, nor do you require physical access to the phone after you install iKeyMonitor. Core features on iKeyMonitor include all of the following:
Free 3 Day Trial: Most phone spying apps offer a 3 to 7-day trial – but not all of them do. iKeyMonitor provides a free 3-day trial that lets you try before you buy.
View All Keystrokes: iKeyMonitor is essentially a keylogger – similar to the ones hackers use. The software lets you view every keystroke typed across all apps – including everything from web browsers to messengers to email apps.
Capture Passwords: Like any keylogger, iKeyMonitor captures passwords typed into the device.
Take Screenshots: iKeyMonitor lets you take a screenshot periodically while the phone is in use. You can record screen activity as often as you like, which is useful for matching keylogging data with apps on the phone.
Jailbreak Required: As you may have guessed, iPhones and iPads don’t have native keylogger support. You’ll need to install iKeyMonitor on a jailbroken iOS device for it to work.
iKeyMonitor is a simple but powerful keylogger software for jailbroken iOS devices. It captures all information typed into the unit – from passwords to websites visited. The screenshot and screen recording capability is also a nice touch. The high-powered tracking software comes with an appropriately high price tag.
Price: $49.99 (1 month) or $299.99 (1 year)
SpyEra lets you intercept and record phone calls. You can also activate a phone’s microphone remotely to record ambient cell phone noise. The software is compatible with iOS and Android. The purchase of one license also lets you install it on multiple cell phones. Overall, SpyEra is excellent phone tracking software available at a reasonable price compared to other options on this list. Core features of SpyEra include:
Supports iOS and Android: SpyEra is available on rooted Androids and jailbroken iOS devices. You can also install it on BlackBerry and Symbian devices.
Remotely Activate the Microphone: SpyEra lets you remotely activate the microphone on the phone to listen to surrounding noise – including any ambient noise in the environment.
Monitor Other Phone Data: In addition to ambient noise monitoring, SpyEra lets you read SMS and text messages, emails, and address book information. You can also monitor messenger apps like WhatsApp, Skype, Facebook Messenger, and more.
Access All Media Files: Remotely access all media files on the target device, including photos and videos.
Phone Call Monitoring and Recording: Remotely monitor and record phone calls made over the device.
Overall, SpyEra is ideal for remote call monitoring and recording. The ability to activate the microphone to listen to ambient noise can also be helpful. Aside from call monitoring and recording, SpyEra has all of the features you’d expect to find on tracking software.
Price: $189 (3 months); $289 (6 months); $389 (12 months)
9) Mobile Spy
Mobile Spy is designed as monitoring software for parents and employers. It comes with an advanced dashboard that lets you monitor all activity remotely. You can silently watch text messages, GPS locations, call details, photos, and social media activity, for example. The main drawback of Mobile Spy is that, due to legal issues, Mobile Spy now needs to display an “MS Monitoring” icon that notifies the owner of the phone that they’re are being watched.
Supports Multiple OSes: Mobile Spy supports iOS, Android, and BlackBerry.
Great for Parents: Mobile Spy’s primary customers are parents concerned about the phone usage of their child or teenager. Favorite features include the ability to have the phone’s most recent pictures, and texts emailed to you. Parents can also monitor all phone activity through the admin panel.
Monitor Everything: Like all good phone tracking solutions, Mobile Spy lets you track virtually all device activity. The admin panel provides an overview of location history for the device as well as browsing history, text logs, and call logs.
Powerful Location Tracking: Want to get an alert when your teen leaves a specific area? Mobile Spy has advanced geofencing and location tracking features for precisely that reason.
View Live Screen: You can get a live look at the phone’s screen using the admin panel.
Developed by Retina-X Studios, Mobile Spy is one of the most popular software solutions on this list. The software – for better or worse – provides a more “legal” solution than other phone monitoring solutions. It’s marketed primarily towards parents and employers. If you install Mobile Spy, then the device will have a notification alerting the user that Mobile Spy is monitoring device activity.
Price: $99.97 per year
10) The Truth Spy
TheTruthSpy is a phone tracking application launched in 2017. It provides essential monitoring at a higher price than most other options on this list. You can track multiple devices, including smartphones, PCs, and tablets. The software can be a bit more complicated to use than other options on this list – particularly when compared to parent-friendly competitors like Mobile Spy. However, TheTruthSpy makes up for this complicated UI with robust features including all of the following:
Ambient Noise Recording: Silently activate the microphone remotely to listen to ambient sounds around the target device.
Real-Time Location Monitoring: Track the location of the target smartphone in real-time. View in real-time location changes throughout the day.
View Texts and Messaging History: Like most monitoring apps on this list, TheTruthSpy lets you monitor texts, messaging app data, and other information.
SIM Card Notifications: You’ll receive a notification if the target phone changes its SIM card. Sometimes, a user may change the SIM card to avoid detection temporarily.
Overall, TheTruthSpy is one of the least reputable manufacturers on this list. The software is a way to catch cheating spouses – although it’s illegal to install phone tracking someone without someone’s permission. The website is also filled with fake reviews, and the official website’s security certificate is expired – which is concerning because the manufacturer expects you to input credit card data into the site. Nevertheless, TheTruthSpy provides features similar to other options on this list – albeit at a significantly higher price than most of its competitors.
Price: $21.99 to $30.99 per month; $130.99 to $184.99 per year
XNSPY is a powerful, non-intrusive mobile spy app with some of the best features you’ll find in mobile tracking software. You can monitor WhatsApp chats and other messaging data. You get a detailed report on location information throughout the day. The software is available for Android and iPhone, and a live demo is available online. Overall, XNSPY is one of the top phone monitoring software solutions on the market today – and the price is surprisingly affordable compared to other options on this list, especially considering the robust features available.
Multiple Mobile Operating Systems: XNSPY supports Android and iPhone monitoring. It works on both jailbroken and non-jailbroken devices (as well as rooted and non-rooted Androids).
SMS and Messenger Chats: XNSPY allows you to monitor all messenger chats and SMS conversations, including iMessage, WhatsApp, Skype, Viber, Line, Facebook Messenger, and most other favorite apps.
Monitor Call Logs: XNSPY lets you remotely check call logs and view the contact list in the target device.
Monitor GPS Location: Remotely check the device’s location history throughout the day, getting a complete and detailed report on the phone’s movement any time.
View Multimedia Files: XNSPY allows you to check all photos and videos saved on the target phone or tablet.
Record Phone Calls and Ambient Noise: XNSPY allows you to activate the microphone to record ambient noise quietly. You can also record all calls made on the device.
24/7 Alerts: Setup XNSPY to send you alerts 24/7 to protect your kids or employees against abuse.
Control Device Activity Remotely: XNSPY lets you remotely lock a phone, take a screenshot, implement usage time restrictions, and remotely control the device in other ways.
Overall, XNSPY is one of the most powerful phone monitoring apps on the market today. The app has all of the features you could expect in a tracking solution – and more. The software is straightforward to use. Finding fault with this software is hard. Despite the advanced features, XNSPY’s price is very competitive with other options on this list. The only real drawback is that you’ll need to pay for an annual subscription upfront, and no monthly subscription is available.
Price: $99.99 per year (Basic Edition) or $149.99 per year (Premium Edition).
THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE YOU BUY
Consider all of the following before you buy spy phone software for iOS or Android:
1) You’ll Need to Access the Target Phone: The phone tracking apps listed above require physical access to the target device. Typically, you download the mobile app onto the device. Or, you download computer software and connect the phone to the computer. In any case, you’ll need physical access to the target phone.
2) Make Sure the Software is Compatible with the Target Device: Some spy software only works on iOS. Other software only works on Android. Other software – including our leading option, OneClickMonitor, works on both operating systems. Check your phone tracking software to make sure it’s compatible with your target device. You can find the list of compatible devices on the software maker’s website.
3) Your Target Phone Needs Access to the Internet: The phone you’re tracking will need an internet connection – either via a standard mobile network or Wi-Fi. This internet connection will be used to upload data to your spy app dashboard, allowing you to track the device remotely.
4) You May Need to Root or Jailbreak your Phone: Targeted Android devices may require rooting before you install the spying app. Similarly, iPhones may require jailbreaking. Both are rooting and jailbreaking allow you to avoid manufacturer restrictions on the device. By rooting or jailbreaking, you have full control over the device and can view all actions performed on that device. Even if an app doesn’t specifically require rooting, phone tracking apps typically work better on rooted devices. Our top app, OneClickMonitor, has a non-jailbreak mode available.
5) Check Local Laws Before Using a Spy Phone App: In the United States, it’s legal for companies to monitor employee activity on company-owned devices – like a cell phone or laptop that the company provides to its employees. Parents also have the right to watch their children’s phone usage. In most other situations, you’ll need specific permission from someone before installing a spy phone app. Check local laws to make sure you’re not doing anything illegal.
HOW TO USE A SPY APP FOR THE FIRST TIME
So you’ve read our list of the best spy apps above. Now, you’re ready to install one. Here’s the process you use to install a spy app:
STEP 1) BUY THE SPY APP
Pick one of the spy apps from our list above. Make sure the software you buy has the features you need, and make sure it’s compatible with the devices you’re trying to track. Once you’ve purchased the software, you’ll receive an email from the company with your login information and instructions on how to install the app.
STEP 2) DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THE SOFTWARE
Follow the instructions provided by the company. Sometimes, you’ll download the app directly to the target smartphone. In other cases, you download computer software to your PC or Mac, then connect the target phone to your computer via a standard USB cable.
STEP 3) MONITOR YOUR TARGET PHONE
Once the app has is installed, it will immediately start monitoring all phone-based activity. You’ll be able to watch that activity via a web-based interface or app. The dashboard should is separated into sections like, “SMS Logs,” “Calls,” and “Photo Gallery.”
CONCLUSION: THE WORLD’S BEST PHONE SPY SOFTWARE
OneClickMonitor is highly-rated online as the best phone spy software I’ve ever used. It’s packed with all of the features you want on phone spy software. It’s also ridiculously easy to use – so even if you’re not a tech whiz, you can get it running within minutes. It runs silently, is priced at an affordable $24 per month, and works on non-jailbroken iOS and Android phones.
However, the other four apps on our list are also perfect for tracking apps. Be sure to compare the phone tracking software carefully before you buy.
If you have any questions, drop a comment below! I’ll be happy to answer any questions you have about the best phone spy software.