Now that you already know that this article is about an app that helps your smart phone with tasks, because there could not have been a more self-explanatory name for this, I will just tell you what all it does as part of its tasks.
Tasker is the definitive automation app for Android. Possible triggers include an app launching, a specific time or day, arrival at a location, the tap of a shortcut, a countdown timer reaching zero, or just about any other event you can think of.
This app is a synonym for total automation of your smart phone:
– Triggers: App, Time, Day, Location, Hard/Soft State, Event, Shortcut, Widget, Timer, Plugins
– Actions: 200+ built-in, plugin support
– Tasks: loops, variables, conditions
– Scenes: design your own screen overlays
– App Creation: create your own standalone apps to share or sell! (Android 2.3+)
There are so many actions in this app that you cannot possibly utilize all of them, but it is always good to know what they are:
- ALERT: Flash, Notify LED/Sound/Vibrate, Cancel Notification, Popup Timed/WithTaskIcons/Names, Torch, Vibrate, Vibrate Pattern
- APP: Calendar Insert, Go Home, Kill App, Load App, Open Map (/StreetView/Nav)
- AUDIO: Alarm/Call/DTMF/Media/Notif./Ringer/System Volume, Haptic Feedback Toggle, Mic Mute, Notification Pulse, Notification(<4.1)/Ringer Vibrate (<4.2 or root), Silent Mode, Speakerphone, Sound Effects toggle
- DIALOG: 28 System Settings dialogs
- DISPLAY: Auto-Brightness, Close System Dialogs, Keyguard, Keyguard Pattern, Display Brightness, Display Off Timeout, Display Rotation, Set Wallpaper, Stay On, Status Bar (expand/collapse)
- FILE: Browse Files, Directory Create/Delete/Move, File Copy/Delete/Move/Open, Write To File, Read Line, Read Paragraph, Zip/Unzip File
- INPUT: Button, Dpad, Type (root only), Input Method Select, Soft Keyboard (show)
- MEDIA: Media Button Events (grab), Media Player Control, Music File/Dir, Play/Forward/Back/Stop, Photo/Series/TimeSeries, Record Audio, Record Audio Stop, Ringtone, Scan Card
- MISC: (Broadcast) Action Intent, Component Intent, Get Location, GPS Status (<2.3 or Cyanogen/submod), Run (ASE) Script, Say, Say To File, Shut Up, Search For, Set Clipboard, Reboot (root only), Set CPU (root only) Set Timezone
- NETWORK: Airplane Mode (<4.1 or root), Autosync, BT, BT ID, Compose Email, Browse URL, HTTP GET, HTTP POST, Mobile Data (on/off), Mobile Data 2G/3G (Cyanogen only), USB Tether, WiFi Toggle, Wifi Disconnect/Reassociate/Reconnect, Wifi Sleep, Wifi Tether, Wimax Toggle
- PHONE: Call, Call Log, Call Block/Divert/Revert, Compose MMS/SMS, Contacts, End Call, Radio, Send SMS, Send Data SMS, Silence Ringer, Take Call
- TASKER: Change Icon Set, If, End If, Goto Action, Perform Task, Profile Toggle, Query Action, Set Widget Icon, Set Widget Label, Stop, Wait, Wait Until
- VARIABLES: Set, Clear, Inc, Dec, Query, Randomize, Split, Join, List
- 3RD PARTY: Android Notifier, Astrid, BeyondPod, JuiceDefender Data/Toggle, Gentle Alarm, NewsRob, OfficeTalk, SleepBot, SMS Backup+, TeslaLED
Too many actions to process at a go, right? Well, when you have so much information already, a little more will do no harm. This app can be converted into different states:
Airplane Mode, BT Connected, Calendar Entry, Docked, Headset Plugged, Incoming Call, Keyboard Out, Light Level, Media Button, Missed Call, Mobile Network, Device Orientation, Power, Various Sensors, Signal Strength, Unread Text, Variable Value, Wifi Network, Wifi Near.
Do you feel exhausted? So do I. But I also know that it is not every day that an app comes by that has too much to offer. So much that exploring all of the features will take a long time and yet we might miss out on some of them!